Creative videos show cultural connections
I recently discovered the Idea Channel, an online-only “show” that looks at connections between pop culture, technology and art. You can watch it on the PBS website or do what I do and subscribe to the YouTube channel. The most recent entry is “Will Space Travel Save Us All?”
Every other week, host Mike Rugnetta verbally dances his way through the answer to a fascinating question, while images and video snippets reinforce what he’s saying. The colorful, fast-moving videos are usually 5-8 minutes long and the topics have included:
- How Did Sherlock Holmes Pave the Way for 50 Shades of Grey?
- Is Doctor Who a Religion?
- Is Homestuck the Ulysses of the Internet?
- How are Justin Bieber, Franz Liszt and Jerusalem Connected?
- Are Cell Phones Replacing Reality?
- What Do Santa and Wrestling Have In Common?
The Idea Channel is part of PBS Arts Online, an effort to strengthen arts awareness, appreciation and education.