Student journaling in Concourse
The discussions tool in Concourse allows instructors to set up a personal journal for each student. This is a private space, between you and the student, that can help you to assess student learning or gain insight into a student concerns and values. The journal can be used for reactions to readings, field notes, and a variety of other purposes.
This is not part of the default tool set at Notre Dame, so you need to “turn it on.” Here’s how:
- Under the Build tab, click “Manage Course” then “Settings”
- In the middle column, click “Discussions”
- To the right of “Enable Blog and Journal type topic creation” select “true” and click “Save Values”
To create a journal:
- Click “Discussions” at the left of the screen and then “Create Topic”
- Choose “Journal topic” and click “Next”
- Give the journal a title – you may also want to allow them to be graded in Concourse
If you are interested in using this tool, I suggest you set up a dummy journal and try it yourself first as the demo student (under the “Student View” tab). That will give you a sense of how it works and what students will see.