How games engage the brain
In a TED video released today, Tom Chatfield presents seven ways in which games engage the brain. Chatfield is a game theorist and author of the new book, Fun, Inc., about the gaming industry and how it is altering our society.
Chatfield’s seven talking points are
- Experience bars measuring progress
- Multiple long and short-term aims
- Rewards for effort
- Rapid, frequent, clear feedback
- An element of uncertainty
- Windows of enhanced engagement
- Other people
Of course, that list doesn’t mean much unless you watch the video.
I haven’t seen Chatfield’s book, but a group of us have been reading Jesse Schell’s The Art of Game Design, and excellent work that echoes a number of Chatfield’s ideas.