Custom icons for your course
Okay, I admit that I have a bit of a fetish for icons in Concourse (Blackboard at Notre Dame). Soon after learning how to use the system I got bored with the limited choice of icons, so I discovered how to create my own and jazz things up. I have made a few new ones each semester and over the course of ten years the collection has grown pretty large.
How to do it yourself:
- Capture an image – try Google Images or Icon Archive
- Open it in an editor – I use “Preview” on the Mac,
and Windows users can try “Microsoft Office Picture Manager”
- Crop or scale it down to a standard size – 84 x 84 pixels
- Save the image as a JPEG file
- Open Concourse and click the “Build” tab
- Click the drop-down menu for an item and
choose “Customize link” (“Edit Properties” for a folder)
- Click “Replace Icon” and choose the file on your computer
If you’re making a bunch of icons, create a folder for them in the Concourse file manager and upload them all at once. Have fun, but try not to get carried away or we’ll have to create a support group for icon addicts. At our “Tips and Tricks” page there’s an Icon Tip Sheet with more about customizing icons in Concourse.