Letter grades in Blackboard
The grade book in Concourse (Blackboard Vista at Notre Dame) offers a somewhat misleading “letter grade” capability. Adding a letter grade column in the grade book tells Concourse to convert an existing number grade to a letter. If you want to manually enter letter grades, use an Alphanumeric column
Here’s how to use the letter grade type of column:
- Start with a numeric grade column in the grade book. It could contain scores from a quiz that Concourse automatically graded, grades that you manually entered, or a calculated column.
- Add a column: Create Column > Letter Grade (you will need to specify the column upon which the letter grade is to be based)
- Set the grading scale: in the grade book, click the icon to the right of the column header and choose “Edit Column Letter Grade Scheme.” Changing the scale can get tricky; you may need a little help.
- Eyeball the list of letter grades to be sure they are correct, based on the scale
- If you don’t want students to see both number and letter grades, hide one of them
- Go to the “Student view” tab to verify that students can see what you want them to see